- Estate Planning, Wills, and Trusts
- Business Law
- Tax Law
Attorney, Senior Vice President
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C.
Phone: (319) 731-2324
Fax: (319) 365-8443
William's AssistantName: Lisa M. Starn
Phone: (319) 731-2325
About William S. Hochstetler
Bill Hochstetler is a Senior Vice President at Shuttleworth & Ingersoll. Bill's work focuses on business and estate planning for closely-held businesses and their owners. His primary work also includes estate planning for non-business owners and estate administration. Prior to becoming an attorney, Bill worked for five years as a certified public accountant.
Typical business work for Bill includes:
- Using his accounting and law background and experiences to work with clients and their accountants in setting up new businesses--choosing the right entity (e.g. corporation, limited liability company, partnership) and making buy-sell arrangements.
- Preparing and reviewing contracts.
- Negotiating the purchase and sale of commercial and farm real estate.
- Working with clients and loan officers on business loan transactions.
Typical estate planning work for Bill includes:
- Establishing revocable living trusts for clients who wish to avoid probate and plan for possible incapacitation.
- Business succession planning for business owners who want to sell or transfer ownership of their business to family members or key employees.
- Assisting farm families with unique gifting and land transfer situations.
- Using wills and trusts to minimize or eliminate estate and inheritance taxes. These trusts includes bypass trusts, revocable living trusts, life insurance trusts, and other types of trusts.
- Preparing durable power of attorney documents and advance medical directives (living wills).
- Forming partnerships and limited liability companies to take advantage of discounted gifting opportunities.
Typical estate and trust administration work for Bill includes:
- Probating wills and administering revocable living trusts.
- Evaluating income tax and estate tax planning opportunities for estates and beneficiaries.
- University of Iowa, J.D. (with high distinction) (Order of the Coif) (1986)
- Practiced as a Certified Public Accountant (1978-1983)
- Eastern Mennonite University, B.A. Business Administration-Accounting (1977)
Awards and Recognitions
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America®—Corporate Law, Trusts and Estates
- Listed as a Great Plains Super Lawyer®— Estate Planning & Probate, Tax
- Martindale-Hubbell, Inc. Rating “AV”