Bill Hochstetler is a senior vice president at Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C. His work is estate planning, administration of estates and trusts, and business planning for clients for whom he has also provided estate planning services.
Typical business work for Bill includes:
- Using his accounting and law background and experiences to work with clients and their accountants in setting up new businesses–choosing the right entity (e.g. corporation, limited liability company, partnership) and making buy-sell arrangements.
- Preparing and reviewing contracts.
- Negotiating the purchase and sale of commercial and farm real estate.
- Working with clients and loan officers on business loan transactions.
Typical estate planning work for Bill includes:
- Establishing revocable living trusts for clients who wish to avoid probate and plan for possible incapacitation.
Business succession planning for business owners who want to sell or transfer ownership of their business to family members or key employees.
- Assisting farm families with unique gifting and land transfer situations.
- Using wills and trusts to minimize or eliminate estate and inheritance taxes. These trusts include family trusts, revocable living trusts, life insurance trusts, and other types of trusts.
- Preparing durable power of attorney documents and advance medical directives (living wills).
- Forming partnerships and limited liability companies to take advantage of discounted gifting opportunities.
Typical estate and trust administration work for Bill includes:
- Probating wills and administering revocable living trusts.
- Evaluating income tax and estate tax planning opportunities for estates and beneficiaries.
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America®—Corporate Law, Trusts and Estates
- Listed as a Great Plains Super Lawyer®— Estate Planning & Probate, Tax
- Martindale-Hubbell, Inc. Rating “AV”
- University of Iowa, J.D. (1986)
- With high distinction
- Order of the Coif
- Practiced as a Certified Public Accountant (1978-1983)
- Eastern Mennonite University, B.A. Business Administration-Accounting (1977)