Wesley B. Huisinga is an attorney and senior vice president at Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C. and past chair of the firm’s banking and finance and bankruptcy practice groups. Wesley practices extensively in bankruptcy and creditor/debtor relations, commercial law, commercial litigation, and distressed loan workouts. He represents national and community banks, credit unions, and other financial service providers in the enforcement of asset-based loan agreements (both real and personal property) and purchases money security interests, including the preparation of work-out and forbearance agreements and the pursuit of judicial enforcement proceedings such as bankruptcy, replevin, foreclosure, and receiverships.
Wesley served as a bankruptcy trustee for 33 years, administering thousands of Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases and serving by special appointment as an operating trustee in Chapter 11 business cases. He formerly served with the United States Department of Justice as the United States Trustee for Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota (1987 – 1994) and acting United States trustee for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas (1991- 1992). Wesley’s bankruptcy practice includes the routine representation of financial institutions, other business creditors and bankruptcy trustees in the full spectrum of bankruptcy issues, including obtaining relief from the automatic stay, cash collateral, objections to disclosure statements and plans, objections to discharge and non-dischargeability litigation, pursuit and/or defense of fraudulent transfer and preference claims and bankruptcy asset sale transactions. Wesley is routinely consulted on a variety of bankruptcy issues for which he has rendered expert opinions and has served as an expert witness.
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Member of the Commercial and Bankruptcy Sections
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Linn County Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Chapter 7 Trustees
- National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees
- Listed as a Great Plains Super Lawyer®— Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, Real Estate
- Best Lawyers in America® 2016 – Litigation: Bankruptcy
- Martindale-Hubbell, Inc. Rating “AV”
Wesley grew up on a farm in Northeast Iowa and has owned and operated a grain farm operation for a number of years.
- Bankruptcy Seminars, Inc.
- Board of Directors Member
- Hillcrest Family Services
- Board of Trustees (2005-2018)
- Xavier Foundation Business and Parish Appeals
- Past Chair and Vice Chair for Parish Appeals (2003-2004)
- Celebration of Agriculture
- Committee Member
- Eastern Iowa Airport
- Commissioner (1999-2002)
- St. Jude’s Sweet Corn Festival
- Corn Cooking Chair
- St. Jude’s Church
- Past Finance Chair, Building Steering Committee
- Birch House Adult Residential Facility In Iowa City
- Board of Directors (2005-2018)