Sam Jones is an attorney and senior vice president at Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C. Sam tries cases to judges and juries. Sam represents individuals and businesses that are forced to go to court to protect their interests. As fewer and fewer cases actually go to trial, Sam has been privileged to develop a courtroom practice.
Sam represents a wide range of clients including multiple Fortune 50 Corporations, small businesses, professional service providers (doctors, lawyers, accountants, engineers, etc.), and individuals. Sam enjoys working with anyone who has been forced to go to court to defend their rights.
Sam has developed an expertise in commercial litigation and construction law. Sam is regularly invited to present speeches to other lawyers about business and construction disputes and his expertise in that area allows him to provide quick, accurate, and economical answers to tough questions.
- American Bar Association
- Construction, OSHA, and Anti-Trust Division
- Iowa Bar Association
- Bridge the Gap Committee (2009-Present)
- YLD Executive Council (2010-2011)
- YLD Membership Chair (2012-2015)
- Linn County Bar Association
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers (Inducted 2017)
- American Board of Trial Attorneys (ABOTA) National Trial College (Completed 2012)
- Dean Mason Ladd Inns of Court
- Linn Law Club
- Inducted into the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers (2017)
- Listed as a Great Plains Super Lawyer® Rising Stars— Construction Litigation, Business Litigation, Personal Injury Defense: General
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Client Review Rating
- Leadership For Five Seasons (class of 2014)
- Forty Under 40, Corridor Business Journal (class of 2017)
- “Iowa Small Claims Basics”, Nuts & Bolts Seminar (October 2014)
- “OSHA Basics”, Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C. Employment Law Client Seminar (October 2014)
- “Contractual Warranty Under Iowa Law and the AIA Form Contracts”, AIA Contracts (February 2014)
- “Construction Warranties”, Fundamentals of Construction Contracts in Iowa: Understanding the Issues (July 2014)
- “Technology and Trial Presentation, Advanced Trial Tactics” (December 2013)
- “Construction Litigation”, ISBA Summer Seminar (July 2013)
- Co-Author: “Mechanics Liens Go Viral: Lessons from Iowa and Utah, Insurance Surety & Liens” (January 2013)
- “Bad House Case Basics, A Starter’s Guide to Construction Law” Bridge the Gap (May 2012)
- “Antitrust Issue Spotting for the Iowa’s Lawyer” Bridge the Gap CLE (May 2011)
- “Iowa Antitrust Law” ISBA YLD Summer Seminar (June 2011)
- Journal of Gender Race and Justice – Articles Editor (2007-2008)
- Author: “Much Ado About Nothing: The Significance of Benitez v. North Coast” 11 Journal of Gender, Race and Justice (Winter 2008)
- Contributor: The Governing Board for Iowa Charitable Non-Profits (2nd ed.)
Sam is married to his lovely wife, Diana. Diana is a dentist in Cedar Rapids. Sam and Diana have two young children who they love very much.
Sam has enjoyed a lifelong love of football. He graduated from Grinnell College as one of the most decorated players in recent history. In addition to serving as team captain and starting all 40 games in his career, Sam was selected as All-Midwest Conference in four consecutive years. Sam was also named to Don Hansen’s Football Gazette All-West Region Team. Finally, in his senior year Sam was named outstanding male athlete across all sports by the Grinnell College Athletic Department.
- Best Buddy through the ARC of East Central Iowa
- Volunteer coach for the Youth Metro Football Association
- Chair, the Iowa Legal Aid Eastern Iowa Advisory Board
- Iowa Legal Aid’s mission is to provide legal counsel to Iowa’s indigent. In addition to his service on this Board, Sam is regularly recognized by the Iowa Supreme Court for his dedication to pro bono representation.
- President of the Board, Willis Dady Emergency Shelter (Board Member – 2012 to Present).
- Willis Dady Emergency Shelter is dedicated to providing immediate shelter to homeless single men and families in a safe, clean and caring atmosphere that promotes progress toward ending the cycle of homelessness.
- Served three-year term on the Iowa Landscape Architectural Examining Board by Governor Branstad
- The board will be responsible for overseeing the administration of licensing tests and disciplinary actions against licensed landscape architects.
- Board member, Linn County Historical Society
- Sam studied history at Grinnell College and has great enthusiasm and passion for learning from the past. The Linn County Historical Society operates the Linn County Museum and promotes historical scholarship in the Cedar Rapids area.
- Board member, Cedar Rapids Museum of Art whose mission is to excite, engage, and educate through the arts
- Planning committee of the Iowa Bar Association Bridge the Gap Committee