- Medical Malpractice
- Health Law
- Long Term Care Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Labor and Employment Law
Attorney, Senior Vice President
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C.
Phone: (319) 365-9461
Fax: (319) 365-8443
Tricia's AssistantName: Haley Fauconniere
Phone: (319) 731-2201
About Tricia L. Hoffman-Simanek
Tricia Hoffman-Simanek is an Attorney and Senior Vice President at Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C. Her legal work focuses on the area of litigation, which includes but is not limited to, professional malpractice, long term care litigation, insurance defense, and other health law litigation. Tricia also provides advice and representation on HIPAA compliance, training, and investigations, professional licensure matters, and risk management. She has achieved an “AV” rating with Martindale-Hubbell, Inc.
She also serves as a volunteer attorney for Iowa Legal Aid and Kids First Law Center.
Tricia served as Chair of the Iowa State Bar Association Health Law Section between 2014–2016. Tricia also served on the State's Board of Nursing Home Administrators, a licensing and disciplinary board for Iowa’s licensed Nursing Home Administrators for six years.
- Mount Mercy College, B.A. Criminal Justice Administration & English (Honor's Program) (summa cum laude) (1998)
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame Law School (cum laude) (2001)
- Journal of College and University Law--Production Editor (2000-2001)
- Iowa State Bar Association (Chair, Health Law Section 2014 – 2016; Litigation Section member; Young Lawyers Division 2001-2011, Executive Council, District 6 Representative 2009 – 2011)
- Dean Mason Ladd Inn of Court (Barrister; President 2011-2012, Program Chair 2010)
- Linn County Bar Association
- Iowa Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association
- American Bar Association
Awards and Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell, Inc. Rating “AV”
- Waypoint Women of Achievement Honoree (2012)
- Pro Bono Service Honoree Iowa Supreme Court (2010)
- Corridor Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 (2008)
- Leadership For 5 Seasons (2007)
- Certificate of Merit - Mount Mercy College (2005)
Community and Personal
In 2016, Tricia became the first woman President of the board of directors for Elmcrest Country Club. She has served on various non-profit agencies throughout Cedar Rapids, as noted below.
Tricia grew up on a farm outside Vinton. She attended Mount Mercy College for her undergraduate degree, and then studied law at the University of Notre Dame. She remains connected to both her alma maters, and is currently serving as a member, and former President, of the Mount Mercy University Alumni Association. Tricia and her husband, Brad, a consulting actuary, reside in Cedar Rapids with their three children.
Her volunteer affiliations, current and past, include:
- Mount Mercy University Alumni Association Board (2005-present; Vice-President 2009-2011; President 2011-2013)
- Elmcrest Country Club, Board of Directors (2012 – present; Vice-President 2014-2016; President 2016-present)
- St. Jude Church, Sweet Corn Festival Volunteer (2001-2006; 2014-present); Lector (2016-present); Building for Our Future Campaign Volunteer (2014)
- Iowa Legal Aid and Kids First Volunteer Attorney
- Notre Dame Club of Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, Member (2002-present; President, 2003-2005)
- UnityPoint at Home – Home Care, f/n/a St. Luke's Visiting Nurse Association Advisory Council member (2012-2017; President 2012-2017)
- Waypoint, Board of Directors (2014-2018; Program committee)
- Iowa Board of Nursing Home Administrators, Board member (2013-2018)
- Horizons Meals on Wheels, Volunteer (2014; 2015; 2016)
- Young Leaders Society, United Way, Volunteer Reader (May 2014, December 2014)
- Visiting Nurses Association of Linn County Board Member (2003-2011; Vice-President, November 2009-2011)
- Catherine McAuley Center, Board of Directors-2003-2009 (Secretary-2006-2007), Human Resources Committee (2003-2011; Chair-2006-2007)
- Rebuild Iowa Public Health and Health Care Resource Group member (2008 - 2009)
- American Mock Trial Association Judge (2002-2008)
- Iowa Mock Trial Program Judge (2002-2008)
- Retired & Senior Volunteer Program (Advisory Council Member-2002-2008)
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters, volunteer Big Sister (2001-2004)
- Junior Achievement of East Central Iowa, volunteer teacher (2001-2003)
Speeches and Publications
Tricia provides tailored HIPAA training to health care entities/clinics. She also has given presentations on various litigation matters (including social media in litigation) and health law subjects (including HIPAA and social media implications, legal issues involving electronic medical records, documentation, and the like). She often presents to those who work in health care settings, including physicians, nurses, risk managers, and other health care managers and providers.
She serves as editor of the firm's Health Law Update.