- Business Law
- Information Technology Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Media and Communications Law
- Privacy, Data Security, and Civil Fraud
- Startups and Innovators
Admitted to Practice in
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
Registered Patent Attorney
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C.
Phone: (319) 365-9461
Fax: (319) 365-8443
Jason's AssistantName: Kathy J. Ibsen
Phone: (319) 731-2388
About Jason R. Sytsma
Jason Sytsma is a Registered Patent Attorney and Vice President at Shuttleworth & Ingersoll with a focus on intellectual property and information technology. He’s a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group and co-chair of the Startups & Innovators Practice Group. Jason leverages his background in electrical engineering and five years in the automotive industry to advise clients on complex legal issues that arise in the commercialization of technology.
As a registered patent attorney, Jason has drafted and prosecuted more than 100 patents. Jason devotes a substantial part of his practice to counseling clients on securing and enforcing patent rights. Jason’s practice involves all facets and stages of domestic and international patent portfolio management – patent searches and opinions, filing, prosecution, due diligence, licensing, acquisition, and enforcement of patent rights. Representative technologies include radio frequency (RF) circuits, image and signal processing, computer software and hardware, business methods, network communications and security, medical devices, industrial microwave control systems, hydraulics, consumer products, and agricultural machinery.
A large portion of Jason’s practice focuses on software and representing Internet and eCommerce companies. Jason reviews and drafts a wide variety of contracts and agreements for his clients, such as software and content licenses, comarketing agreements, eCommerce supplier and distribution agreements, end-user license agreements, terms of service, sales terms and conditions, affiliate and reseller agreements, service level agreements, software and website development agreements, software-as-a-service (SAAS) agreements, and the like. Jason also advises companies regarding open-source software and effective use of OSS in their commercial products.
Jason also knows how to effectively handle online infringements. His work in this regard, regularly entails resolving domain name disputes (either through litigation or arbitration through the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy), copyright infringement, trademark infringement, and false advertising. Jason’s knowledge in this area allows him to make effective use of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) to remove quickly infringing content wherever in the world it may be found. He also understands the intricacies of doing business online, and he uses this knowledge to identify and pursue those primarily liable for the infringement or identify the service providers that are enabling the infringement.
Jason’s clients include independent inventors, entrepreneurs, small and medium-sized businesses, and Fortune 500 corporations. While many of Jason’s clients are located in Eastern Iowa, Jason represents clients throughout the United States and foreign clients with their U.S. legal matters.
Jason regularly speaks to entrepreneurs and startups about intellectual property matters, including to the Small Business Development Center’s 6-Week Startup class and the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center. He’s a regular presenter at Coe College’s business music class where he talks about copyright law. As Chair of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the Iowa State Bar Association, Jason organized and moderated a full-day seminar on representing mobile application developers and is moderating a series of monthly webinar on a wide range of topics pertaining to intellectual property law.
- Iowa State University, B.S. Electrical Engineering (with Distinction) (2005)
- University of New Hampshire School of Law (formerly Franklin Pierce Law Center), J.D. (cum laude) (2008)
- American Intellectual Property Association
- American Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Linn County Bar Association
- Linn Law Club
Awards and Recognitions
- Listed as a Great Plains Super Lawyer® Rising Stars--Intellectual Property
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America®-Intellectual Property, Patent Law, Trademark Law
- Corridor Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 (2015)
Community and Personal
- Iowa State Bar Association's Intellectual Property Section Council (Chair)
- Iowa State Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Legislative Committee (Chair)
- Iowa State Bar Association’s eCommerce Section Council (Legislative Committee)
- Eastern Iowa Science & Engineering Fair (Assistant Director, Past Treasurer)
- Legal Aid (Volunteer Attorney)
- Iowa Bicycle Coalition (Board of Directors)
- Retired & Senior Volunteer Program (Advisory Board Member) (Provides volunteer opportunities for persons age 55 and older)
- Children Of Promise (Volunteer mentor) (Community based organization for mentoring at risk youth)
- Jason also advised and drafted a patent application for two students that invented a music lyre as part of high school pre-engineering course designed around Project Lead The Way. Our efforts were the focus of a July 2010 article in Intellectual Property Today, a leading publication for IP professionals. Mike Car, Project Lead The Way Encourages Fledgling Designers & Engineers, Intellectual Property Today, July 2010, at 32-34.