Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C.
Attorneys in the Shuttleworth & Ingersoll Health Law practice area represent a number of health care providers including regional and county hospitals, as well as physicians, home health agencies, nursing homes, pharmacies and a wide variety of others in dealing with the multifaceted legal issues which arise in the healthcare environment. The health law area has two primary groups: the office-based group and the professional liability defense group.
Attorneys in the office-based group advise clients with respect to numerous issues, including:
- The formation and operation of healthcare delivery systems;
- The preparation and negotiation of a variety of agreements with physicians and other healthcare professionals, network participation agreements, joint ventures, provider services agreements, and capitation agreements;
- The structure, design, negotiation and documentation of self-insured plans, including stop loss coverage, third party administration agreements and health insurance contracts;
- Compliance with anti-kickback, Stark, antitrust, HIPAA, and other federal and state statutes and regulations affecting health care;
- The operational aspects of hospitals, pharmacies, nursing homes and clinics such as informed consent, policy and procedure review, medical records confidentiality, reimbursement, advance directives, employment and labor relations, compensation and benefits, credentialing and peer review, licensing board actions, medical ethics and medical staff issues;
- Professional corporations, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans for professional corporations, and tax issues for professional corporations; and
- Estate planning and asset protection planning for physicians.
Attorneys in the professional liability defense group regularly defend hospitals, physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other health care professionals throughout Iowa when they have been sued for malpractice. The firm’s trial team defends cases in state courts throughout Iowa and in all federal courts in Iowa, including appellate courts. In addition, the attorneys regularly defend health care providers before the various regulatory boards including, among others, the Iowa Board of Medicine and the Iowa Board of Nursing. The firm has developed relationships with many physicians throughout the state and country who serve as consultants and experts on medical issues involved in health care litigation.
Attorneys Who Specialize in Health Law
|Sort: Firstname | Lastname||Phone|
|Connie M. Alt (Chair)||(319) 731-2217|
|Kerry A. Finley||(319) 731-2309|
|Vincent S. Geis||(319) 365-9461|
|Allison M. Heffern||(319) 731-2215|
|Tricia L. Hoffman-Simanek||(319) 365-9461|
|Robert D. Houghton||(319) 365-9461|
|Mark P. A. Hudson||(319) 731-2230|
|Desirée A. Kilburg||(319) 365-9461|
|Diane H. Kutzko (Chair)||(319) 731-2227|
|Michael O. McDermott||(319) 365-9461|
|Dennis J. McMenimen||(319) 731-2302|
|Joseph M. Miller||(319) 731-2237|
|Nancy J. Penner||(319) 365-9461|
|Jennifer E. Rinden||(319) 731-2378|
|Gary J. Streit||(319) 731-2316|